What is SharePoint?
SharePoint is a web application framework and platform developed by Microsoft. First launched in 2001, SharePoint integrates intranet, content management and document management, but recent versions have broader capabilities. In this post we will tell you about how to save site as template in SharePoint 2013. First of all those who have design level permission or more than that, they can save a site as a template.
Access External Data Within SharePoint
Here in custom web template apart from security related information other information like list, document libraries, web parts etc will be saved in the custom web template.
This will be saved as a file with .wsp extension in the solution gallery of the site collection.
Follow below steps:
- Open the SharePoint 2013 site for which you want to save the template. Then on the Settings menu select Site Settings.
- This will open the site settings page, In the Site Actions section, “Click on Save site as template”.
- This will open the Save as Template page, there give a file name, Template Name, Description etc. If you want to include the content then check the check box “Include Content” as shown in the fig below:
- Then click on OK, this will save the template.
Now if you want to create a new site by using the site template that we have created just now, then click on +new site. This will open the New SharePoint Site page. In the template section when you click on Custom then the template will come as shown in the fig below:
Advantages of SharePoint
- As companies grow so does the amount of their files. It soon becomes difficult to keep track of the multiplying documents and their locations. SharePoint overcomes this by allowing you to store and share your files in a central site.
- Sharing work files through email is a cumbersome process. SharePoint eliminates this by allowing files to be stored in one location, allowing easy access to all team members.
- Business Intelligence has traditionally remained in the hands of a few key decision makers within organizations. For years, it has been the goal of BI providers to “democratize business intelligence” by making it available to all levels of workers throughout companies. With the addition of Performance Point to the SharePoint Enterprise version of SharePoint, this vision is realized, finally taking business intelligence out of the hands of the few and into the hands of many.
- Today’s work occurs over multiple locations, whether it is in different countries, office locations, separate departments or at your home office. SharePoint enables teams and individuals to connect and collaborate together regardless of where they are located.
- Surveys have shown that employees can spend up to 20 – 30 % of their day searching for data and information. SharePoint eliminates this drag on productivity by providing the robust search functionality needed to find the information and expertise buried in the thousands, or hundreds of thousands of files a company generates in the course of business.
Best SharePoint Hosting
ASPHostPortal.com has been Microsoft recommended hosting provider. In our SharePoint plan, we offer Support Custom WebParts, SharePoint Site Usage Reports, Support SSL, Users Administration, Intl Language Packs, Public-Facing Access. Get organized with our SharePoint Foundation 2010 Hosting, the leading Microsoft web hosting solution for secure document management, content management, and workflow features for your intranet or extranet requirements. The SharePoint plan is starting from $9.99/mo.